Monday, December 12, 2011

Words


I like to tell people that I’m drawn to writing because I can’t take good pictures.  I’m not a talented artist or musician.  And yet there are some moments that are so beautiful, I want to remember them forever.

The clear, crisp sunrise of winter, pale pink on its edges, a white-throated sparrow chip-chipping away at the icy stillness. . .

A grey wood watered by the slipping song of a thrush, drawing out of the brambles a gauzy green veil.

A thin, dry hand patting the back of my own.


I write to preserve my memories as much as I write to create worlds.  And I write, because, strangely, words are not my friends when I speak. 

Ask my husband.  Ask my friends.  Ask my kids or my students who always have to complete my sentences in class. 

Words are my friends on paper and screen.  I can anchor them here, rearrange them, paint and draw with them.  But in the air, they fly away before I can speak them, like caged birds that have found an open door.

Maybe that’s the way it is for me.  I hold them too tightly within myself.  I cling to my words as I cling to my memories.  I need to practice letting go.

My main character is working on letting go right now in my story.  I’m not sure how she’s going to do with it.  I think she’s ready.  Which means she’s learned more about life in her twelve years than I have in forty-eight. 

Wish us both luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment